£30,000 - £37,000 per annum dependent on qualifications and experience
- £30,000 - £37,000 per annum dependenton qualifications and experience
- Based at Pride Park in Derby
- 37.5 hours per week
- Permanent contracts
MPEC Technology is the leading supplier of condition monitoring hardware and software to the UK railway and has helped make Britain’s railways safer and more reliable. We get to work with technology as old as mechanical signalling, right through to the latest artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms.
As a core part of the business, the enterprise development team delivers software that receives, stores and analyses data from our condition monitoring hardware. The Centrix RCM platform processes billions of data events from across the UK, Europe and North America; providing near real-time monitoring and fault alerting on a variety of railway (and non-railway) assets.
The Senior Software Engineer will be highly competent in current enterprise software development technologies, is responsible for making key software and infrastructure architectural decisions; and completing development items as a member of the development team.
In addition to software development, the Senior Software Engineer will work closely with the Lead Software Engineer and key customers to assist in the definition and maintenance of a clear strategy for existing and new product developments. As an expert in enterprise software development within the business, the role encompasses continual research and evaluation of new technologies, tools and delivery processes to provide quality and industry leading software, as well as developing and supporting customer relationships.
- Deliver enterprise software products to a high quality, aligned with business strategy and to the satisfaction of our customers.
- Maintain and develop relationships with key customers to strengthen our network of product ambassadors.
- Act as mentor to more junior members of the Software Development team.
Assist the Lead Enterprise Developer in:
- The agile product delivery process within the enterprise development team.
- Formulation of strategies for existing and new product development.
- Supporting server infrastructure including provisioning and maintenance of services
- Identifying and troubleshooting potential problems as they arise
Essential Skills and Qualities for the role:
- A passion for software development and delivery, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the business.
- Solid technical skills, with advanced experience in developing scalable Java, Spring and MySQL software systems.
- Good understanding of Agile (specifically Scrum) methodology, continuous integration, and associated tools (e.g. JIRA, Bamboo, Confluence).
- Linux platform
- Cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure.
- Docker containerisation
- NoSQL databases such as Cassandra
- Message queue technologies such as AMQP, RabbitMQ
Benefits to woking at MPEC:
- Flexible working hours over a 37.5 hour week.
- 25 days leave, plus bank holidays (extendable through long term service scheme).
- Company bicycle scheme.
- Discounted commuter rail travel.
- Discounted leisure rail travel for you and a partner.
- Group bonus scheme.
- Contributory company pension scheme.
- Company funded sports & leisure activities.
- Lunch provided every day.
- IET or BCS professional membership.
Closing date: 18th October 2019
To apply: email a c.v to Louise Hodgson, HR Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org
No recruitment agencies. Any unsolicited calls or emails will not receive a response.
Posted: 02 October 2019